Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Votive Candle Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
chatocamacho

Votive Candle Questions and Answers

Unread post by chatocamacho » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 am

Hi I recently started practicing candle magic and I was wondering if we could use votive candles insted of offertory candles?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Votives Instead of Offertories?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 pm

The form of a cylindrical or tapered candle -- whether tall and thin like a 6" offertory or 12" taper candle, short and thin like a 4" altar light or birthday candle, short and squat like a votive candle, tall and fat like a 9" Jumbo or Pull-Out, or long-lasting like a glass-encased Vigil Light -- is a matter of choice and convenience. Selecting candles with forms other than a straight cylinder or taper is another factor that some people consider important -- figural candles such as Adam and Eve or 7-Knob or Crucifix are utilized for various types of work, for instance.

Your decision about which form of candle to use may be influenced by the culture in which you were raised; the choices of family members, friends, or teachers who brought you into the work; your own aesthetic preferences; and what is most readily available to you at a price you can afford.

Another consideration you will want to explore is the candle's colour, which, for many practitioners, is an aid in visualizing the type of spell being cast.

However, in my opinion, the form and even the colour of the candle you choose is not as important as your intention, your focus of Will and your work manipulating candle prior to lighting it by means of old-time hoodoo techniques such as loading it, carving it, laying a petition paper beneath it, and/or dressing it with conjure oils and herbs, then praying over it for success.

These matters, and more, are discussed in far greater depth on the "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" web page titled "Candle Magic." If you haven't already read it, it may answer some of your questions. If you have further questions, please post them here. The URL is

http://luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Dark_Damicelle

Various shapes and forms of candles

Unread post by Dark_Damicelle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Greetings ladies and gents,

I was wondering if I could use votive and offertory and in the same way as figural candles (e.g., male figure, devil, etc.) candles if they are dressed with appropriate oils and sachets/herbs?

Also, if I have an encased candle is it ok if I should pour the oil on top, and whatever else I'd like, pray over it, and light it up, instead of poking holes into it to dressit?

Thanks

DD

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Votive and condition candle replacement...

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:50 pm

You can use votives, altar, glass encased, tea lights figurines or novena candles for various rituals. All can be inscribed and dressed with oils according to your petition. Sometimes its the individuals preference. For the glass encased, it is customary to poke holes into it and pour a few drops of oil (dress) and appropriate herbs. For the votives, altar, tea lights and figurines, you can dress them with oils,herbs, and sachet powders. The figurine candles are used in spell work to represent entities, objects or the person.

Have you looked at the variety here http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:05 pm

You certainly can use any form of appropriately dressed candles. I happen to favor the 4" & 6" candles for most all of my work; they are inexpensive and burn really well. Plenty of people use regular "household" candles as well. It's all about proper preparation for the work, not the candle itself. Usually I will buy 3 dozen of the 4" candles in assorted colors -- that's only $9 and 1-2 dozen 6" candles at $6/dozen. That gives me enough candles for several weeks of work. I seldom use figural candles and will often replace the 7 knob wishing candles that come with many spellkits with 7 of the 4" candles. I simply prefer how they burn over the 7 knob candle.

As for dressing a glass encased vigil candle yourself, first cleanse the outer glass with something like Florida water, diluted Chinese wash or even salt water. If the wax is dusty, wipe is clean. Determine which condition oils and herbs you will be using and assemble them. Larger roots and herbs should be finely ground. Next, take an ice pick, sturdy skewer or screwdriver and carefully bore 3 holes in the candle wax in a triangular pattern near the wick. Like so: (sorta...)
(0)
wick
(0) (0)
Add a drop of condition oil to each hole, plus a pinch of your herbal/root materials. You can work the herbs into the holes a bit with the tool you used to make them. You can also add personal concerns if you have them now. Next, lightly dress the top of the candle with the oil and add another pinch of your herbs. Don't add too much of either the oil or herbs to the top of the candle or it may not burn well. While you are preparing the candle you should pray and consecrate each item/ingredient for the work you intent it to do. Once the candle is complete, you may wish to take a few more minutes to pray over the finished candle.

You are then ready to prepare your petition paper in the traditional way. Some workers place the vigil candle atop the petition paper (my preferred method) while others with make the petition large enough to encircle the candle like a label and wrap it around the candle glass, attaching it with string, tape or rubber bands.

Good luck,
Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

Dark_Damicelle

Unread post by Dark_Damicelle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks ladies your advice was great!

Michelle,

I think it was from you that I got the idea about the little candles. The description helps a lot! Thanks...

DD :)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Votives Instead of Offertories?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 pm

We carry votive candles in ten colours, plus three sizes of Lux Perpetua Mexican Votive candles.

CAN-V01-WHIT
Votive Light Candle, White
$.75

catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Rev Ernest
Forum Moderator
Re: Votive Candle Questions and Answers

Unread post by Rev Ernest » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:08 pm

In another thread I offered advice to NEFERTARI who wants to start a new business. In my advice I told her to perform a basic space-cleaning job to set her new business up prosperously. I mentioned that she could light "a white candle of any size."

I did not say so there, but for me, the votive candles are a perfect size for jobs that are not so quick you want them to end right away, but not so in-depth that you want them to last for days. Also, votives are less messy than tea lights, less prone to accidents than free-standing candles, and very easy to relight, so you can dress them each time you light them. All you need is a selection of colors and one good votive holder and you can set up a small candle spell anywhere you want.

I know that I am known for my work at the church with Vigil Lights, but for an on-the-go spell, votives have my vote!
Rev. Ernest, HRCC Grad #0891, MISC Deacon,
Facebook Fridays! Admin, Online LMCCo Catalogue Team

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”