Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

San Martin de Porres Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answer

All about Lucky Mojo religious supplies, church goods, and altar tools, plus prayers to God, angels, spirits, saints, and deities.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
San Martin de Porres Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answer

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 am

I googled "novena St. Martin de Porres" and immediately found many prayers and a novena. So you should be able to find one that resonates with you very easily through an online search. :)

This one was provided by a YahooAnswers user:

Saint Martin de Porres,
your concern and charity embraced
not only your needy brethren,
but also the animals of the field.
You are a splendid example of charity;
we thank and praise you.
From above,
hear the requests of your needy brethern.

(Mention your request here...)

By modelling our lives after yours,
and imitating your virtues,
may we live content knowing that
God has looked favourably upon us.
Because this is so,
we can accept our burdens
with strength and courage
in order to follow
in the footsteps of our Lord
and the Blessed Mother.

May we reach the Kingdom of Heaven
through the intercession of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Amen.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: San Martin de Porres

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:34 am

Saint Martin de Porres is -- among other attributes -- the patron saint of veterinarians, and of domestic dogs, cats, rats, and pigeons. He is almost always depicted with these four specific animals at his feet.

HOL-CAT-ITM4
St. Martin de Porres Holy Card
$1.00

catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Saint Martin de Porres Spiritual Supplies Questions Answers

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 am

St. Martin de Porres (1579-1639) and his sister, Juana, were the children of a Spanish nobleman and a freed African-American slave. His father abandoned the family, and they were very poor. Martin apprenticed with a barber-surgeon who taught him the medical arts.

At 15, he was employed as a servant at a Dominican convent in Lima, Peru, sweeping and cooking (he is usually shown with a broom), then asked to enter the Dominican order. Because of his piety and good works, the Dominicans decided to drop their racial limitations on admission.

St. Martin started an animal shelter at his sister’s house and could talk to animals. He is often shown with a cat, a dog, a mouse, and a dove. He loved animals so much that he became a vegetarian. He started a school, an orphanage, and a children’s hospital.

Miracles of healing are attributed to him, both during his life and after his death.

St. Martin de Porres is the patron of African-Americans, mixed race people, housekeepers, veterinarians, animal shelter workers, the poor, Peru, innkeepers, hairstylists and barbers, public education, and public health. Petition him for healing, for sick or lost pets, and better relations between people of different races.

Appropriate offerings would be donations that help the poor, animal shelters, schools, and hospitals.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: St. Martin de Porres

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Thank you Mama Micki.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Great thanks for the information.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Thank you Mama Micki!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!
HRCC Grad-Apprentice #1606

euphemia

Unread post by euphemia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:38 pm

I have not personally worked with St. Martin de Porres (yet), but I'm fond of him, as my mother is originally from Peru. :)

autumnalflower

Unread post by autumnalflower » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:39 am

Thanks for the information.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 am

St. Martin also was an excellent fundraiser, so he could be petitioned for money, especially if you give to charity.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:03 am

Today would be an excellent day to petition St. Martin de Porres because November 3 is his feast day. Ask him for healing for people and pets, to help victims of racial prejudice, and to raise funds for charity.

psychic kitty
Re: Working With San Martin de Porres

Unread post by psychic kitty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:17 am

According to legend, Martin de Porres also fed the hungry animals who came to him. He is a patron of animals in need and I often pray to him when my cats are ill. So a donation to an animal charity might also be a good idea. Martin of Tours was the name of my elementary school, and I ride horses so I am especially close to him. Both great saints.
It's a bittersweet symphony, this life...

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:40 am

psychic kitty, it is not a legend. St. Martin de Porres started an animal shelter where he fed and healed stray dogs and cats.

psychic kitty

Unread post by psychic kitty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 am

Sorry, I was relaying the way the nuns taught it to us way back when. I have been praying to him for my sick kitty and he has been very helpful.

Nola

St Martin de Porres and domestic rats?

Unread post by Nola » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi. not been in here for a while, but I've been working my way through the podcast archives, and just heard the mention of St Martin de Porres, and it mentioned his connection with rats.

now earlier today, before getting to the podcast, I had a bad experience at the vets with one of my five lovely ratties (called Juju) and while everything is okay, the information he gave was all very out of date, he injected a medication that shouldn't be given by injection, only orally, and genuinely gave me just a lot of information I know is really out of date where rats are concerned.

she'll likely be okay, but it's had me all angsty and worried about my babies all day.

I've been reading up a little more about him, and he sounds wonderful. I'm considering setting him up a little shrine in the corner of the room where I keep my rat palaces (too big and well equipped with toys and lovely things to call them cages) as I was hoping he could help me keep them healthy and happy. one of my rats in particular, a beautiful and loving powder blue dumbo boy called Sam, is very prone to recurrent respiratory infections and could definitely benefit from a bit of outside help.

so I'd like to make a space for him with my precious babies, and was wondering if I could get some advice on what sort of things he would like on a shrine for him. obviously due to the proximity to the rats, and rats predisposition to cancers and resp. issues, nothing can be burned on it, so no incense or candles. however on my other shrine, I use a combination of real and battery candles (that look surprisingly real, but can fit right back into the shelves with no fire risk) and these seem perfectly well accepted.

are there any plants, or food or drink offerings, colours etc. he would find particularly pleasing?

any help appreciated.

Nola

Re: Working with Saint Martin de Porres

Unread post by Nola » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I've only just heard of him (I'm working through the podcast archives) and I liked the sound of him and read a little more.

when I read about his closeness to rats, it occurred to me that it would be very good to make a shrine for him in the proximity of my ratty corner.

now a whole corner of my living room is taken up by two very large and well equipped rat cages (that I prefer to call rat palaces) one for my females and one for my males.

I have five very sweet and spoiled rotten ratties.

anyway, it seems like asking for his help in keeping them safe, well and happy would be a wonderful idea.

I also asked about this in the pets advice section, but I was wondering what kind of things I could put out for him on a shrine, what offerings he'd enjoy etc. I already take on the idea that I'll put on a money box for my loose change, and when it's full give it to an animal charity. I'm thinking something like the PDSA would be ideal (in the UK, that's a charity that funds vet care for pets of people on a low income)
are there any food or drinks he'd enjoy. any particular images?
I won't be able to burn incense or candles, as rats are prone to respiratory infections and cancers, so any smoke would be a bad thing.

many thanks. xxx

Nola.
and Sam, Scamp, Mojo, Juju and Zorro.

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator
Re: St Martin de Porres and domestic rats?

Unread post by Mary Bee » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:24 pm

St. Martin de Porres is often pictured in Catholic iconography with a broom (since he was a servant in the Dominican order), a pair of scissors (since he was a barber) and a rosary. Perhaps you could give him a small broom to keep by his shrine and ask him to use it to keep away evil and sickness from your pets. He also used to beg for alms for the poor from people, so perhaps you can give money to a charity for animals or the poor in his honor. I think this saint would appreciate these gestures :)

Mary Bee
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

Nola

Unread post by Nola » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm thinking the PDSA might be a good one to cover both bases a bit there.

it's a UK charity that provides vet care for pets of people on a low income. do you think he'd like that? I could put a little money jar on the shrine, and donate it as it fills up with my loose change.

psychic kitty

Unread post by psychic kitty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Nola.

I pray to Martin for my kitties (along with two other pet saints). His sacred space has a votive candle which bears his image, and a tiny little sleeping kitty statue that I bought when I lived in the UK. I gave a donation to our local stray cat charity in thanksgiving for my cat's recovery---I think the charity you describe is great. A little broom would be fine too, as suggested---I remember a statue of this saint at my childhood church and he was holding a broom.

May your rats continue to recover and thrive. I saw lots of pet rats when I was living in your part of the world---cute little things!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 am

Saint Martin de Porres is a great advocate for domestic rats (as well as dogs, cats, and pigeons!). Here are some ideas for your Martin de Porres altar:

A framed chromo print of Saint Martin de Porres would be appropriate:

HOL-CAT-MEM4
San Martin de Porres 8" x 10" Chromo Print
$2.00

If space is limited, you can frame a small holy card:

HOL-CAT-ITM4
St. Martin de Porres Holy Card
$1.00

We sell dressed candles for Saint Martin de Porres as well:

CAN-GLC-SMTP
St. Martin de Porres Glass-Encased Candle, Fixed
$9.00

A small (rattie-sized?) altar might include a small statuette:

STA-CAC-CMAP
St. Martin De Porres, Painted Plastic Statuette
$3.5

We also have an 8-inch tall statue of Saint Martin de Porres in painted resin, and, of course, we have a full line of Martin de Porres dressing oil, incense, bath crystals, and sachet powders. FInally, we carry a small Peruvian package amuet dedicated to him, in which there is a tiny broom (his symbol) plus other assorted saint images; and a wallet-plaque in stamped metal with his image on it.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Nola

Unread post by Nola » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 am

those things sound lovely.

I've just recently ordered some holy cards, and I'll definitely have a good look at some of the other items. the package sounds lovely.

and that first print has a lovely feel to it.

thanks for the tips . I may post a picture when I've got it all together and on the go.

Nola

Unread post by Nola » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:07 am

well I've made this.

it's not finished, I want to put some gold highlights in before I varnish and mount it. I'm not sure how I'm going to work a baseplate yet.

Fixerkitty

Unread post by Fixerkitty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 am

That's lovely! I think he'll be very pleased.

What is it made from?
Beneath my feet I can feel
That I'm a slave,
Slave to Gravity
--Neuroactive

psychic kitty

Unread post by psychic kitty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 am

WOW! That's beautiful! Yes, I am certain St. Martin de Porres will like your effort!

Nola

Unread post by Nola » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Salt dough, with frankincense, Myrhh, cinnamon and spiritual oil.

he's a little squatter than I would have hoped him to turn out. but realistically, maybe that's just him in his later years.

I love making versions of salt dough and playdough with appropriate things all mixed in for their use.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: Working with Saint Martin de Porres

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:28 am

I mix a few drops of St. Martin de Porres oil in the detergent when I wash blankets the pets sleep on, usually weekly.

Nola, you could sprinkle a little St. Martin de Porres powder on your figurine to bless it, or dab a little oil on the back.

Miss Nikki
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Re: Saint Martin de Porres Spiritual Supplies Questions Answers

Unread post by Miss Nikki » Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 am

Thank you, St Martin de Porres for guiding my Breezy Storm to where she needed to be. Please take care of her in your arms, and let her know she is loved. Thank you for taking her out of pain, and laying her soul to rest. Amen.
Why would you want to fit in, when you were BORN TO STAND OUT?

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Religious Goods and Altar Tools in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure”