Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

How to Increase Focus and Intention While Casting Spells

Isolte
HRCC Student
Re: How to Increase Focus and Intention While Casting Spells

Unread post by Isolte » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Thank you all so much for sharing! I love these suggestions.
I will definitely look into these songs because I am open to all types of music.

Susan Barnes
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Susan Barnes » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi Isolte,

I use music in quite a lot of my work. Your post is refreshing to me.
I love Catherine's links,you can't go wrong with any of those.
DMX always rocks it. But I haven't done any work to his tunes, yet.
Mama Rue offered a good one by Betty Wright, "The Clean up Woman".
For some weird reason I keep having Nancy Sinatra's song on my mind. "These Boots were made for walkin"
But I do have a special place in my heart for Ludacris. He has some great break up tunes.
Miss Cat is right on about music being quite personal.
You're for sure on the right track. :)
HRCC Graduate #1632 - Member of AIRR - Member of Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Moderator

Pwincess Buttacwup

Unread post by Pwincess Buttacwup » Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm

These questions go out to the magic veterans among us. I hope you might share your personal time-tested pointers for properly directing energy into spellwork.

What's your favorite method of directing your energy into your spells?
Many of you have become so effective at energy direction that you can affect targets as far as different countries, and targets from whom you have no personal concerns. If this is you, how are you able to do this? Would you say this is something you were born with, or did you learn?
For those who direct their energy into work involving spirits: What's a good way to hear what the spirits are saying to you? Is it something you hear, feel, see, taste, touch...? How do you generally prefer to gain cooperation from spirits, dead or otherwise - or in the case of the capricious or dangerous ones, how do you gain their aid while keeping their tendencies in check?
Finally: What do you generally prefer to do about your mood when you're doing your spellwork - do you leave it at the metaphorical door? Do you put off the spellwork until you're in the proper mood? Do you prefer to channel your mood, good or bad, into your spell? Or something else?

I'm perpetually keen to improve, and if I can see further after this, as the saying goes, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Hello, Pwincess Buttacwup,Since there's so many questions, I'll answer each after the question
Pwincess Buttacwup wrote:These questions go out to the magic veterans among us. I hope you might share your personal time-tested pointers for properly directing energy into spellwork.

What's your favorite method of directing your energy into your spells?-My personal favorite is relaxation for about 1/2 hour before performing spells. Then, deep breaths and intake energy. If I am doing enemy work, I get as angry as possible and scream and yell.
Many of you have become so effective at energy direction that you can affect targets as far as different countries, and targets from whom you have no personal concerns. If this is you, how are you able to do this? Would you say this is something you were born with, or did you learn?-For me, it was both. For many successful practitioners, it took practice, commitment and determination
For those who direct their energy into work involving spirits: What's a good way to hear what the spirits are saying to you? Is it something you hear, feel, see, taste, touch...? One or all! Depends on the person. You start out by praying and talking to your spirit guides, ancestors, etc. As time goes on, ask for signs. Then build from there.
How do you generally prefer to gain cooperation from spirits, dead or otherwise - or in the case of the capricious or dangerous ones, how do you gain their aid while keeping their tendencies in check?-I don't deal with dangerous spirits. Maybe another root worker can answer this.
Finally: What do you generally prefer to do about your mood when you're doing your spellwork - do you leave it at the metaphorical door? Do you put off the spellwork until you're in the proper mood? Do you prefer to channel your mood, good or bad, into your spell? Or something else?-Don't ever cast a spell if you're not in the mood. It won't work. AS I had stated earlier, anger is good for enemy work.

I'm perpetually keen to improve, and if I can see further after this, as the saying goes, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
HRCC Graduate #1631

emu81684

Unread post by emu81684 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 am

Hello to all! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

First off, I haven't been able to find a thread like this anywhere, but that's not to say it doesn't exist within this incredibly dense world of Lucky Mojo forums. That being said, I'm sorry if I repeat the questions, but I would like some advice and I think it might help newbies and the like as well.

My main problem with conjure is I get so incredibly excited about working it that I have a horrible time calming down and performing the proper steps. I'm used to seeing results with people I already have existing relationships with, so I (somehow) think I can jump right in with someone else the same way. And you can't. You just can't. Conjure you work on someone you've known for ten years is vastly different than what you'd work on someone you have only recently met, and that's where my problems arise.

Conjure is literally about baby steps. You can't work Love Me conjure on someone you haven't even spoken to. There's no footing and even though its common sense, I have wasted a lot of time, energy, supplies and money through the years skipping the dozen steps it takes to get there.

So, I was hoping someone could give a simple outline of what should be done. My overall plan is to make initial contact with my target with something tangible like a dressed letter, or mail, or something then solidify their attention, build a relationship and then eventually result in something more. My problem is I don't lay the needed ground work to get the results I want.

1) All I'm certain of is getting a reading first.

2) Should I then do a cleansing bath?

3) Maybe Road Opening work?

4) Should I send the dressed letter before working anything substantial like a Honey Jar or vigil candle?

It's the small things I have trouble focusing on, but you can't do anything big without first starting small. So please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 am

There are actually two threads that deal with this topic.

A) How to Increase Focus and Intention While Casting Spells
how-to-increase-focus-and-intention-whi ... 24715.html

B) Basic Understanding of Traditional African American Hoodoo
basic-understanding-of-traditional-afri ... 19287.html

I have moved your query into the first-named thread, but i want to tell you that you must also read the second thread to understand that there are traditional ways of performing hoodoo that are rooted in specific black American community cultural styles, as well as nearly world-wide magical methodologies, such as the use of contact or contagion magic, proxy magic, vocalizations, and the like, that appear in hoodoo in patterns similar to those fund in other forms of folk magic.

To answer your specific questions:

1) Not necessary before beginning spell work, but often undertaken by those with limited experience.

2) No, you do not need to take a cleansing bath for most work, especially not for simple attraction spells. If such a bath is prescribed, take it; if the work does not require it, don't take it. We take cleansing baths to remove spiritual messes. If you are not messed up, you will not require cleansing to do love-drawing spells.

3) No, you do not need to undertake a Road Opening for most work, especially not for simple attraction spells. If such a Road Opening is prescribed, do it; if the work does not require it, don't take it. We perform Road Opener work to clear blocked paths. If your paths are not blocked, you will not require a Road Opener to do love-drawing spells.

4) No, the preparation of a dressed letter is itself a job of work and all part and portion of it will benefit from being prepared and then held for a while with or under your altar work. Make the sugar jar, light the candle, write the letter by the light of the candle, place the letter under the jar, smoke it, dress it, pray over it, work with it physically, et cetera. When the letter is fully prepared (which may take several days), then select a propitious time to send it.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Pheonix_410

Unread post by Pheonix_410 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Hello everyone, I have my 1st book of shadows and I'm wondering if there is a special spell or blessing that is normal when getting a new book? As of now it's just a composition notebook but I definitely plan on purchasing one from LM. Thanks in advance.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Hello, Pheonix_410,

I like to first smoke mine with Van Van incense: www.luckymojo.com/vanvan.html

And here's some blessing spells: www.luckymojo.com/blessing.html

Wishing you the very best

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

LuckyJupiter88
HRCC Student

Unread post by LuckyJupiter88 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 am

Miss Aida! I love the idea of smoking and blessing the journal! I cant believe I didn't think of it!

Thanks for this
Student #2128

aniviel

Unread post by aniviel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm

I read through the topic and couldn't find an answer here, I do wonder because I've tried either approach in the past.
I light candles on my honey jar Mon, Wed and Friday. I tend to pray before I light, as I light and then numerous times during the burn. When I pray my intent is very clear and focused. But between those, I do feel the need to get away (get food / use laptop etc..)
I have previously sat with the candle the whole time it was burning, and other times I'd sit with it for about 10-15 minutes numerous times during the burn but do other stuff the rest of the time. I am able to bring myself straight to "that place" (I'm clear with intent, speaking aloud helps me and it's easy because I live alone. But I've always felt unable to use "visualisation" techniques, but that never interfered with my rituals).

Are both approaches okay? Or?

JayDee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JayDee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:22 pm

aniviel ,

I spend time in prayer with ancestors, the spirits of the work, the items being used, oils, etc. I Spend time in prayer with God and talk about it, pray about it. I state my petition and work, then light the candle and do the physical things as I speak out loud what it is and why. I then go in to prayer normally eyes closed praying on my petition and purpose. I am often caught in the moment and dont really recall thinking about doing anything other then praying, I dont focus on technique im focused on my prayer. I follow this with reading of scripture and end it with thanking the spirts, the items used and God for my prayer and answering it. If i visualize its before I get started and at the end when I sit in contemplation and accepting my prayer was answered. People may use different techniques I find a solid prayer with a heart felt petition brings all that into the work without me trying. I hope that helps.
HRCC Graduate #2156G, Forum Moderator, Reader and Root Worker.

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:15 am

I'm glad I found this thread!

It's been a few years since anyone posted in this section of the forum, but I would just like to chime in and share!

When I first began to explore hoodoo I thought about obtaining an official book of shadows, but I ended up creating a private blog for that purpose instead.

I'm glad I opted to go that route because I find myself having to go back and doing a lot of editing. I know that those before us never had that luxury and had no choice but to use paper, but being as we live in the digital age I am taking advantage of the convenience!

I also elaborate on a lot of experiences related to the work I've done so I know that if I had an hardcopy then it would get run through pretty quickly! With the blog format I can make endless entries without ever having to worry about paper space!

Finally, and perhaps the main reason I made my book of shadows into a blog is PRIVACY! I like the security of knowing that there is absolutely ZERO chance that anyone would ever be able to find it, lest somehow my blog gets hacked.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers!

crazycatlady
HRCC Student

Unread post by crazycatlady » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 pm

I see that there hasn’t been much activity on this thread in quite a while, but I’d like to share what has helped me, and I have overlooked it in the past: spiritual bathing before working on a spell. For those of you who are fortunate to have a bathtub for soaking, it does wonders. It’s calming and relaxing, and changes your mood and can assist in putting you in the right mindset. Kind of reminds me of the lyrics “watching all my troubles swimming down the drain” in Tweety Bird’s song when he sings his “Singing in the bathtub” song LOL!

Brujo_Sireno

Unread post by Brujo_Sireno » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Aha! So I'm not weird for making playlists based on the type of working being done.
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you

RisenRaven

Unread post by RisenRaven » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:20 pm

I do the same thing. Music is very powerful and meaningful to me.
Risen as in the phoenix.
If I must face the raven, let me be brave.

crazycatlady
HRCC Student

Unread post by crazycatlady » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:30 pm

I like music too, especially songs that remind me of the target I may be working on. Also with love or reconciliation spells I would think if the couple had a favorite song, I would play that or love songs.

crazycatlady
HRCC Student

Unread post by crazycatlady » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:36 pm

When doing revenge spells or cursing, think about how your target did you (or someone you love or care about) wrong, and the more you get yourself mad and worked up, the better. I also read about a cursing spell involving tying knots in some string, and it instructs you to project fierce anger and hatred toward the target with each knot you tie.

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 am

Hey all! Been a while since I last visited or posted here.

I have been into Hoodoo for 3 years now so I know this question might be met with a "You should already know by now" type response. But hear me out......

Over the course of that time frame I have gotten a lot better with my petitions and Magick/Hoodoo in general, but it's the "TENSE" that I still question sometimes. I've a lot of reading on magick in general and honestly I have gotten mixed perspectives on this...........Unfortunately most explanations just don't hit on certain things.

Some people say it's best to state your intention as if it already happened because it puts it in the affirmative.

The problem I have with that is that it feels a bit "empty" to me. Yes, it's in the affirmative. You're basically "claiming it as already being yours" as they say. BUT....... stating it that way it feels like there's no real energy behind it to actually "push" it in that direction. Then when you state it as if it already has happened then that leaves out the details of HOW it happened, because magick takes the path of least resistance and it could take all manners of twists and turns to fulfill the intention.

So wouldn't it be best to state it as if it is currently happening instead, and that way you can state the details on how you want it to manifest?

Just wanted to get another perspective from others to see how either method worked for them.

I would also like an opinion on another matter as well......the build up of energy.

When I first started doing magick/Hoodoo I would just basically pour a lot of emotional energy into my petitions (and that takes A LOT out of you, but that's kinda besides the point). But then over time I learned that my petitions would come out garbled because of all of the excess emotions of stating what I really wanted.

So then I started to change up my methods and state my petitions more precise in the way I wanted things to go. I would state it with will power, yes (like "It is MY WILL or MY INTENTION that such and such is happening") but considerably less emotional energy built up behind it. In other words........it felt less forced and more of a simple command.

So overall, when it comes to getting the universe to move in your favor, would you say it's the build up of emotional energy to "FORCE" the intent you send out, or is it the precise statement of intent?

And yet a third question poses itself while I'm at it……

When sending energy to a target I usually refer to the target as “YOU”, as if I am talking directly to them in second person. That is the method I have been using since I first began working with magick/Hoodoo. However, I just very recently started trying a different method and sending the energy to the target using a third person point of view and immediately noticed a difference between the feeling of the energy.

The former method, TO ME, feels as if you are somewhat “forcing” that person to move to your will. But the latter method feels much less forced and more in the affirmative. For example – “Jane Doe, you have a strong desire to talk to me” vs. “Jane Doe has a strong desire to talk to me”. Just by reading that alone it might seem quite trivial and doesn't really matter, but when you actually state it one way or the other during your spoken petitions it just “hits” different. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this as well?

The only way I can reason it is that when influencing a target using second person petitions, you are sending energy directly to them and trying to push their will. But when trying to do it using third person you are more or less putting it out in the universe and allowing it influence the target's energy to your will - I reason it works out better this way, which is probably why the energy feels different. But as I stated, I only just recently began using this method so I have yet to see any results.

Basically, I just wanted to get some other perspectives on all of this. I'm always learning and trying to better myself with my magick. After all, what's the point in buying all of these products from Lucky Mojo and you can't use them correctly because your wording and direction of energy are "off". And that makes a HUGE difference in your success, considering the universe takes energy literally.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I know for a fact there was a specific thread for Stating Petitions on this forum but for some reason I can't seem to find it. Maybe I am overlooking it. If so, please feel free to move my post to the correct location. Thanks.

JayDee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JayDee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:07 pm

jdsmooth85,

You asked: So wouldn't it be best to state it as if it is currently happening instead, and that way you can state the details on how you want it to manifest?
Answer: Good question, there are many ways of doing magic, many ways of doing prayer, which a petition is a form of prayer. I always pray for what I want Lord defeat my enemy, Lord bless me with love, Lord may I get this new job, but when I am done with the work, I expect it like it has happened. We also watch for signs and movement to make sure we are on the right track, this is also helpful to include divination to guide your work.

You asked: I would also like an opinion on another matter as well......the build up of energy.
Answer: There are many ways of building up energy in a spell, you would be surprised that some traditions do not even discuss this, it is not a focus of the work, though it happens because of the work. In hoodoo we use organic items that have spiritual energy- that brings power to the work, we uses authentic items made by high quality businesses that make them based on the tradition- that carries energy into the work. We use candles which have colors, colors vibrate with energy, we use figure candles which bring in sympathetic magic. We call on spirits/ancestors/ pray to God, that is powerful energy, we speak the petition with emotion- that is energy, you may read Bible versus, Gods word is filled with powerful energy. You will include personal concerns which is a piece of that person and their spirit-which is energy. This all combined with the physical adaption of the spell, the lighting of candles, the manipulation of the work, the setting of a mojo, is all putting that spiritual energy into a motion to create the desired outcome/change. You could ask 100 practitioners and get 100 different answers, you can read 100 books with 100 different ideas, but you will find common threads that flow between them. Part of learning is doing, and seeing what works for you.

3rd question on petition: when working a spell to influence a person's mind, such as a skull candle, a doll-baby, it is best to speak to them as though it i their thought. You are telling them what to think, me personally if in my head I suddenly thought " jane doe you are attracted to me", I would be confused why I said my own name and who the hell is "me". What is more logical is I am attracted to Robert, I want Robert, I am calling Robert. Then the thought is more natural to a person who is receiving the thought. Now if you are using two figure candles one as you one as her then you may state the petition differently as you are now moving her to the figure candle of you, that may look more like " Jane doe is coming to me" as you move her closer across the working.

JayDee

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:40 pm

Hi Jay Dee, thanks for your response!
Answer: Good question, there are many ways of doing magic, many ways of doing prayer, which a petition is a form of prayer. I always pray for what I want Lord defeat my enemy, Lord bless me with love, Lord may I get this new job, but when I am done with the work, I expect it like it has happened. We also watch for signs and movement to make sure we are on the right track, this is also helpful to include divination to guide your work.
I gotcha now. So it is generally agreed upon to state the petition as it is currently happening (in whatever form you wish to state it, as a prayer or statement) then know in the affirmative that you have it!

I was only confused about the "tense" because of the fact that the universe is quite literal, so when you state your petition as it has already come to past then you're telling the universe that what you want has already been done so there's nothing for it to do....... That's the way I reason it anyway.

Over time I've learned to take choice of words and the use of tense very carefully when formulating a petition. Again, the universe takes everything you state literally.

Answer: There are many ways of building up energy in a spell, you would be surprised that some traditions do not even discuss this, it is not a focus of the work, though it happens because of the work. In hoodoo we use organic items that have spiritual energy- that brings power to the work, we uses authentic items made by high quality businesses that make them based on the tradition- that carries energy into the work. We use candles which have colors, colors vibrate with energy, we use figure candles which bring in sympathetic magic. We call on spirits/ancestors/ pray to God, that is powerful energy, we speak the petition with emotion- that is energy, you may read Bible versus, Gods word is filled with powerful energy. You will include personal concerns which is a piece of that person and their spirit-which is energy. This all combined with the physical adaption of the spell, the lighting of candles, the manipulation of the work, the setting of a mojo, is all putting that spiritual energy into a motion to create the desired outcome/change. You could ask 100 practitioners and get 100 different answers, you can read 100 books with 100 different ideas, but you will find common threads that flow between them. Part of learning is doing, and seeing what works for you.
That makes perfect sense considering everything is energy, after all!

Like you said, there are many ways of building up energy. I guess it's all just to get you in the right mood for the work.

All that really matters is that you are CLEAR and PRECISE of what you really want when you project it out into the universe so that it will manifest the change you desire. I've learned that when you project all of those emotions out in the universe and they're not clearly directed then things won't turn out like you want.

So, when people say that you have to build up energy in order to cast a spell (or in the case of Hoodoo, do a "job") it's not always clearly explained.

3rd question on petition: when working a spell to influence a person's mind, such as a skull candle, a doll-baby, it is best to speak to them as though it i their thought. You are telling them what to think, me personally if in my head I suddenly thought " jane doe you are attracted to me", I would be confused why I said my own name and who the hell is "me". What is more logical is I am attracted to Robert, I want Robert, I am calling Robert. Then the thought is more natural to a person who is receiving the thought. Now if you are using two figure candles one as you one as her then you may state the petition differently as you are now moving her to the figure candle of you, that may look more like " Jane doe is coming to me" as you move her closer across the working.
Right, I understand that you have to know how to change the perspective to the target's point of view when doing skull work in particular, and when working with dolls as well. I would even go as far as saying you could also use first person perspective when sending energy to a target to influence their feelings or actions (ie. Your petition says - It is my will that Jane Doe now have these feelings for me "I (Jane Doe) suddenly have strong feelings for John Doe) - I need to give that a try sometime to see how that works by the way.

But what I was questioning in my OP though was the effect of changing the wording of a petition to 2nd or 3rd person perspective when directing that energy to a target. As I said, I noticed a big change in how that energy feels.

Again, when sending energy to a target to influence feelings and using 2nd person wording in your petition, it is like talking them directly and it's like you're literally pushing their energy trying to influence them to do what you want. But when you try to influence a target using 3rd person it's more like you're putting it out in the universe or speaking it into existence vs directly talking to them. See what I'm saying here? There is a big difference in the way the energy is directed with even just the choice of wording.

JayDee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JayDee » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:50 am

jdsmooth85 ,

There is no universal way to state a petition, some will do it affirmatively, they take the bible text, Mark 11:24- Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. There are other prayers found in the Bible with different tones such as the Psalms, Psalm 91: If you say, “The Lord is my refuge," and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;". You will notice a different tense used in this prayer. You can ask 100 people and read 100 books and they will all tell you something different, there is no universal way, some base theirs on tradition taught by family members, others based on culture or a teacher, others do a different type of magic such as Ceremonial and they use different techniques. If you notice a major change in the energy when you do the changing of a tense, then I would practice with this and determine which method works best for you.

Some people believe the universe is literal, this is why it is important to be laser focused on the outcome, with a clear petition and desire. However I follow the Bible verse, Luke 11:11- If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?" God answers the prayers with what you are asking of him.

Miss Cat has two wonderful books that are related to this topic that would be a great read based on your interest.

Hoodoo Bible Magic: https://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoobiblemagic.html
Paper in My Shoe: https://www.luckymojo.com/paperinmyshoe.html

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:29 am

Wonderful insight JayDee!

I appreciate your perspective on all of this.

I will definitely be checking out the books you recommended as well!

Once again, thank you for your contribution to my question!

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:26 am

To JayDee or anyone else willing to chime in.....

This is something that came to mind just now. I wish I would've remembered it when I made my OP a few days ago, but sometimes certain things just don't come to you. But this is still relevant to my OP and the subsequent discussion nonetheless.......

When I first began working with magick (right before I found out what Hoodoo was), I performed a love spell on a target. At that time I didn't know anything about being specific about the wording in a petition or anything like that. I kinda knew a little something about building up emotional energy but not to any great extent at the time. I just wrote out the full petition and went raw with it. It was just pure RAW energy!

Thing is, I was using the phrase "I want you to feel" while sending that energy to the target. I knew what I wanted to manifest overall but I was concise or very precise with it. It just felt very "primal" because it was just a big burst of energy that came straight from the heart.

While I was doing the spell I actually "felt" the energy moving and when I was finally done the energy was raised so high that I felt completely drained and "loopy". It was actually a scary feeling because I didn't know what was happening! It's like I could also feel the target's energy after that!

Thing is.....the spell WORKED (I know it's called a "job" in Hoodoo but again, that was right before I got into Hoodoo) ! It was a little more powerful than I expected, especially for it to be my very first spell. But I got some SERIOUS movement with it. Probably a lot more than any working I've done since!

When I think back on that, I think of what I stated in my OP that you have to be very careful when wording your petitions because the universe takes things literally. It is said that you should avoid saying "I Want", unless you want to keep wanting. So instead of saying "I Want" you should instead speak it as if it is currently happening in order to get the energy moving, then know in the affirmative that you have it.

BUUUUUT............... there's what happened in my very first spell tho.

Since I learned to change up the phrasing in my petitions and being careful with the wording, as well as being more precise with my intentions instead of letting my raw emotions go, I noticed that my working hasn't been as powerful and things manifested but in more subtle ways, it manifested slowly, or just simply not at all.

JayDee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JayDee » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:54 pm

jdsmooth85 ,

There are many ways of working with energy in magic, some focus on the spiritual aspect others on the physical moving and pulling of energy. It is very common to be tired or exhausted after doing a long job on a person, it takes a lot of mental, physical energy. You were also likely very tired because all of the energy you used came only from you. In Hoodoo we work with the spirit, the spiritual energy of ancestors, herbs, the items, Gods word, and that energy with your own is put into the work. I would practice different techniques and see which work best for you and continue to do that. If you look at how Protestant pray, or how a church hymn is sung you will see a pattern in the wording, and the energy that goes into those prayers and songs.

JayDee

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:34 am

JayDee,

Thanks again for chiming in!

I took a few days to "experiment" with different methods of working petitions, and I have to agree with you that it's really best to do what feels best to you, whatever gets the energy across best - so to speak. Like you said before, there is really no one universal way, but I still hold that the universe responds best to certain ways energy is directed.

I agree with you 100% about the tired feeling after working with the energy, and especially when it all comes from you alone. I know that in the Hoodoo tradition it is custom to work with God, ancestors and spirits as well as items, but since my inception into magick/Hoodoo I have been working it solo without the aid of spirits. I can only count a handful of times I've worked with spirits, in general, but I am considering opening myself more to it.

I've always considered myself spiritual-non religious, so I honestly never paid any real attention to how Protestants pray, but after you threw that in I'm going to research it to see how they do their prayers to get another perspective.

Thanks once again JayDee and you have a nice day!

JayDee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JayDee » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:38 pm

jdsmooth85 ,

Here are two examples on the Lucky Mojo page regarding conditional curses and prayer, a great resource to look at.

Hitler and Hell: https://www.luckymojo.com/hitler-and-hell.html
Will You Spend your Eternity In Hell: https://www.luckymojo.com/will-you-spen ... -hell.html

Hoodoo Bible Magic also discusses the different types of prayers: https://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoobiblemagic.html

Hoodoo Jukebox is filled with songs (among other treasures like petition papers, candle covers, seals) that discuss Hoodoo and even sing in a similar preaching method: https://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoojukebox ... olbox.html

Another great source on Religion and Hoodoo https://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooandreligion.html

Under Lucky Mojo books, this classic also discusses prayer types and using them in work: THE CRYSTAL SILENCE LEAGUE: PERSONAL LESSONS, CODES, AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEMBERS
Written by C. Alexander in 1919 and revised in 2011
https://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html

Working with spirits is a part of Hoodoo and very common to honor ancestors, to ask for support, but it is also working with the natural spirit and its energy of the curios we use in the work.

JayDee

coastwitch

Unread post by coastwitch » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:23 pm

Seven years ago, in 2013, I posted to this thread and mentioned that I had filled three Books of Shadow with recipes, spells, and pressed herbs. I started my fourth Book of Shadows that year at the Winter solstice.

This year I celebrated Yule by finishing my fourth Book of Shadows and embarking on my fifth one. These books mark my journey through magick and by returning to them I can see how far I have traveled on my path.
coastwitch

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 am

One way to increase focus and intention while casting a spell is to link or time the work to a particular external event -- either one time or in a pattern of cyclical timings. Cyclical or repetitious timing is a powerful was to focus attention and has been recommended by folk magic practitioners, religious clerics, and ceremonial magicians for millennia.

There are many methods for timing spell-casting. We continue to discuss them in the Lucky Mojo Forum, and the mods are always willing to share their own tips and techniques.

Here, to facilitate conversations, are all of the Forum threads that deal with timing as a way to link your spell's focus and intention to the powerful cycles of nature.

Spell Timing: Time of Day or Night, Clock Time
https://forum.luckymojo.com/spell-timin ... 11842.html

Spell Timing: Planetary Influences and the Days of the Week
https://forum.luckymojo.com/spell-timin ... t1429.html

Spell Timing: Dates of the Month and Numerically Interesting Dates
https://forum.luckymojo.com/spell-timin ... t8110.html

Spell Timing: Astrology, Horoscopes, Signs of the Zodiac, and Planetary Aspects
https://forum.luckymojo.com/spell-timin ... t3022.html

Spell Timing: Moon Phases, Moon Signs, Moon Void of Course
https://forum.luckymojo.com/spell-timin ... -t442.html

Spell Timing: Eclipses and Retrogrades
https://forum.luckymojo.com/spell-timin ... t2025.html

For a brief tutorial of timing for spell-casting, you can also see my book "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic"

BOO-GRI-AHCM
The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic by catherine yronwode and Mikhail Strabo

$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

For More Information, see:
https://luckymojo.com/theartofhoodoocandlemagic.html

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Dr Darensbourg
Newly Registered

Unread post by Dr Darensbourg » Fri May 13, 2022 6:39 am

Bonjou/Hello!

I wanted to share one of my little secrets of increasing focus and intention.

Some of you may already do this but I find that using music REALLY helps to set the mood and creates and induces an emotional response that can help to shift your spirit in the "right" direction for the spell you are working.

Outside of Hoodoo, I am a professional musician/vocalist and an actor and on top of this I'm a cancer so you with all these things going you KNOW I'm able to REALLY access my emotions and the music really heightens the experience and makes for beautiful rituals with effective outcomes for me.

So anyway, here's a list of my favorite songs to play and what kind of Spellwork I use them for. Hope you enjoy:

- "Prayer of Jabez" by Donald Lawrence
(Steady Work, Money Drawing, Fast Luck)

- "Set Me as a Seal" by René Clausen
(Come to Me, Return to Me, Reconciliation)

- "Take It By Force" feat Karen Clark Sheard
(revenge/reversal)

- "Amazing Grace" FULL ALBUM by Aretha Franklin
(I use this while making doll babies and mojo bags)

- "Take Me to the Water" from the "Selma" sound tracks
(I use this while baptizing doll babies)

- "Just Because God Said It" by the late and great
(I use this for uncrossing, deliverance, and protection)

- Ave Maria Païen by NOA
(I am a French and Creole speaking Louisiana Creole and a devotee of Marie Laveaux. I use this during my devotions to her or while petitioning her. I only speak to her in either or both of our heritage languages, French or Kouri-Vini which is Louisiana Creole)

These are just a few of the ones I use; the more frequent ones. Feel free to steal'em from me! haha.
I hope to hear some of your selections if you use songs or music too!
Dr. Keith Darensbourg, DD, DM
HRCC Graduate #2132G

Lucky-Mojo-Hoodoo-Rootwork-Hour-Radio-Show.com

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”