Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
aura
Forum Moderator
Re: Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

Unread post by aura » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 am

Do keep us posted :)
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 am

Isn't it interesting how folks ask for advice on how to write a petition, are given GREAT advice according to traditional conjure methods -- in this case the use of the SUCCESS Sigil to train hunting money -- and then they go do something else?

I find this fascinating.

Not saying that your method won't work, roguedeer -- it is just fine -- but i am wondering why you asked for our advice, engaged our time and interest, and then decided to not follow the advice we gave...
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

roguedeer

Unread post by roguedeer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Wait - I did use the sigil! As the "paper underneath". Didn't mean to mislead!

deep_waters79
HRCC Student

Unread post by deep_waters79 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:47 am

When scribing and anointing a pink candle for reconciliation. Do you go from the top (wick area) towards the bottom or bottom to the top?

Thanks

ElectroKid

Unread post by ElectroKid » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Hello

i have been looking around the lucky mojo forum more ways to inscribe on a red candle some say write the date of birth on the candle and full name & drees it with oils place the persons picture and the Petition under the candle but ? do you have to include your full name for it to work or the universe and sprits will know or could you write on the candle for example : Ruby Smith Love John King loads of times on the candle i know there are many ways i would like to know the easy way i was in jamaica for holiday and went down to kingston and this guy showed me a red candle parchment paper also a picture of a person he was working on he told me if your doing a love candle spell write on the candle following like this i command lisa smith to love micheal joda care for him go crazy for him always love him ? but hes using love oil you cant put i command because he was using love oil i dunno what do you people think of his method ?

JayDee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JayDee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:07 pm

I think you should stick with one method or style and the one that works for you, this site is about LM products and hoodoo specific, IE their are many ways to dress a candle for love and many cultures and styles of magic do it differently, it is an issue of what frame work you are worknig within to do the spell IE is it a hoodoo spell to get love, are you using wiccan ..etc.. your question will it work or will the universe know, well its more an issue of personal concerns, the more personal the better the link, the better the work. if you have no personal link ( seman, vag fluids, hair, nail, writing sample) then the next best is their full name and birthday ( which makes the work rather specific to the person) and a picture to back it up. You can write their full name if you carve the candle in a spiral fashion ( like a barbershop) going around the candle, id go clock wise to draw love. Im really lost on the "commanding but he is using love oils and I cant command part"? many love oils sold by LM have commanding aspects such as I dominate my man or I dominate my women, follow me boy, etc all those use commanding aspects. I think a better question would be what exactly are you working for? then we can give real suggestions.
HRCC Graduate #2156, Forum Moderator, Reader and Root Worker.

Artaynia

Unread post by Artaynia » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm

What are the best ways to cleanse a candle, the best method and material?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 pm

I personally like to use

1. Buffalo Ammonia also urine which has ammonia in it
2. Florida Water

You can refer to this thread as well for more ideas
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Artaynia

Unread post by Artaynia » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Florida water sounds good.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:36 pm

You can read about florida water here http://www.luckymojo.com/floridakanangawater.html

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:32 pm

ok, pardon my question and ignorance: why would you cleanse a candle?

I can understand cleansing a home, clothing, self, and an altar but why a candle? I've always just fixed them and spoken my intention before burning.
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:09 pm

When you get them from a retailer, they've passed through many hands. Cleansing them brings them to a "neutral" state, so you can start with a blank slate for your work.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

ConjureMan
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Aura, there are more conjures who don't cleanse candles than do.

Cleansing a candle is a relatively new practice for hoodoos, but those that do cleanse their candles perfer to remove any influences that the wax may have absorbed in being handled.
ConjureMan - HRCC Graduate #1550, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:57 am

Well, I cleanse them because they are physically dirty, and spiritually dirty most of the time. I have noticed a difference when I do not do so. I put ammonia in a squirt bottle and then spray the candle. Lastly, letting them dry.

ConjureMan
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 am

For those interested Miss cat talks about where the idea of cleansing candles comes from in hoodoo on page 10 of this thread: candles-trim,-carve,-load,-petition,-pr ... 8s270.html

Here you'll see that cleansing candles is rather uncommon in hoodoo.

I went to a botanica once with a conjure woman who was instructed to cleanse her candles by the store owner, when the conjure woman, perplexed, asked, "do you cleanse your oils too?" The store owner replied hesitantly, "No.." "how about your herbs?" "No..." "Well how come candles get dirty but not these other things? Don't they pick up negativity too? I'd say oils would be even worse since people are prayin over 'em and usin' em for all sorts of things."

So while cleansing candles is a lovely practice and can be a fruitful addition to your work, it is best to see the historical and cultural context behind it versus the cultural context behind hoodoo and realize that there isn't any rule about cleansing candles; simply a personal decision.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks for that Conjureman Ali. It's interesting how Hoodoo is beginning to incorporate some new practices. It may not be traditional, but I agree that an individual should test it for themselves. I would note if there is any difference with the cleansing and not cleansing of the candles.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:22 am

Stars, i would not say that hoodoo practice is getting very strongly behind the Santeria idea that candles need cleansing but other articles from an occult shop do not. I think you may see those who are fearful about "doing wrong" asking about this stuff, but the idea that candles are "spiritually dirty" is not a part of the lives of those who have been doing conjure for generations.

Thanks, ConjureMan Ali, for the reality check -- a funny story, and one worth using in a teaching context.

I would like to say something more about this, by the way -- the crap-oils sold in most botanicas are made from so-called mineral oil which comes from the same petroleum wells that the vigil candle wax does. Mineral oil and paraffin wax are just different weights of the same stuff that gasoline and kerosene and vaseline are made from, and axle grease, and LP gas, and so forth. If you feel that you need to cleanse your candles, try cleansing your shoe polish, 'cause it's more of the same stuff.

OCD... Too many calories... Pheh.
catherine yronwode

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:43 am

Not looking for "the one really real way" :lol: but I'd like to know how you do this...

In a thread on Anointing Oils, you wrote:
catherineyronwode wrote: Since honey jars are directed at people rather than the universe (unlike a job-getting or luck-changing candle, which might be directed at the universe), i write names. I was taught to write them spiral-wise, like the stripes on a barber pole. I have done them in barber-pole spirals going both ways, to make them cross like May pole ribbons. I have written many names on one candle.
1) if the honey jar is directed at a person, you would inscribe their name and yours/the client's on the cndle, right?

2) Would it make any difference which one was written clockwise, and which one counterclockwise?

3) And, can I take this as an indication that anti-clockwise doesn't have the negative connotation in Hoodoo that it does in other systems?

Thanks. ;)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:22 am

stelz --

1) You are not getting it.

A) If i am making a honey jar on one person, say to get "Joe Doe" to be nicer in a workplace situation, i would inscribe the name "Joe Doe" on the candle. I would not inscribe my name.

B) If i was in love with someone like "nagasiva yronwode," i might inscribe our names in parallel ispirals or criss-crossing like the ribbons on a May pole, more or less covering the entire surface of the candle, to intertwine us.

C) If the situation involved several people, say a whole lot of co-workers, "Joe Doe," Mary Roe," "Jim Toe," and "Betty Coe," i would inscribe all of their names on the candle.Then, depending on the PURPOSE of the honey jar,

1) I might only use their names, to make them sweet to each other.

ii) I might place my name among theirs as one of several spiralled names, to sweeten my own thoughts as well as theirs..

iii) i might cross and cover their parallel names with my name going criss-cross to them, to sweeten them under my direction.

D) I could go on with a dozen more examples, but until you understand these and see that the spell is something designed to enforce my desires, and not a vacant, arbitrary rule-set, it would be pointless to come up with more examples.

Now, if you do understand what i wrote, go back and re-read what i wrote and see if it doesn't make more sense to you:
Since honey jars are directed at people rather than the universe (unlike a job-getting or luck-changing candle, which might be directed at the universe), i write names. I was taught to write them spiral-wise, like the stripes on a barber pole. I have done them in barber-pole spirals going both ways, to make them cross like May pole ribbons. I have written many names on one candle.
2) If you took a candle and a needle in your hands, you would see that clockwise and counter-clockwise are relative to whether you start at the TOP or at the BOTTOM.

What is clockwise going UP is counter-clockwise going DOWN.

We can be just as concerned with directionality as with spin. If one person's name goes DOWN and another person's name goes UP, we can also create an image of magical importance, without regard to spin.

3) No, you cannot take that as a given. Hoodoo is a creolized collection of beliefs derived from a variety of sources (African, Native American, European, Jewish, even Chinese and East Indian in parts). Depending on the family history, the region of the United States, the strength of tradition through the generations, and the degree of outside (book or internet) influence on a given practitioner, any given African American conjure worker may be --

A) unaware of European rule-sets that govern directionality,

B) aware but unconstrained by European rule-sets that govern directionality,

C) partially observant of such European rule-sets, or even

D) as rule-bound as any 21st-century internet witch of European-American descent.

Another way to answer you is to offer a path out of the entire dilemma you have posed for yourself:

Get away -- FAR AWAY! -- from thinking of hoodoo as a "system" and start thinking of African American folk magic as a CULTURAL PRACTICE. That is, learn about the culture first and foremost,and you will not be so concerned about rule-sets. Then meet and talk with as many African American conjure workers as you can.

Don't ask people of other cultures. Just ask 100 African American root workers how they do it.

You will begin to see not only that there is variation, but also, with experience, you will begin to be able to understand the probable causes of such variation -- where the people were raised, whether their family traditions are intact, whether their family traditions ever included candle work (some do not, even to this day), and what influences they have sought out, accepted, or rejected from other cultural traditions, including book and internet influences.
catherine yronwode

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:45 am

1) Yes, I think I do see...thanks. The jar can be used a lot more ways than I realized, the terms I was thinking in were too narrow.

2) Actually I got the arbitrary "forward means clockwise from the top" from prayer wheels, which I respect, but dragging them into this is another instance of mind-cobbling (as pointed out in 3), something I really need to be aware of if I'm going to get anywhere with this.

Finding 100 African American root workers does sound like fun. Will keep y'all posted. :D

Done1

Unread post by Done1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:38 am

Hello everyone. I am once again in a housing emergency. I know its bad, but I'm actually disabled by law, and I am on sooo many lists for housing rental assistance but with this economy being so messed up, there are no funds. I was saved from my last eviction, but this time I'm not sure if I can because one agency told me they've helped me enough, and you and your daughter will just have to move, another words you'll just have to go homeless. I'm going out of town for about 3 days and I want to do a prayer to Saint Jude and also to Saint Expedite, and whatever other Saint that can help me. The problem is again I'm going out of town so does that mean, I should wait to come back?? Also can you relight vigil candles daily during a novena, or keep them burning 24/7. Please yet again..pray for us.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:17 am

Yes, you can work a spell while you are traveling. You can set lights at various intervals as well. While some workers choose and have the space to allow a vigil to burn all day...all week etc... some may light the vigil during the mornings, evenings e.g., Just make sure to pinch the candle out and not blow it out.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Done1

Unread post by Done1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:27 am

jwmcclin wrote:Yes, you can work a spell while you are traveling. You can set lights at various intervals as well. While some workers choose and have the space to allow a vigil to burn all day...all week etc... some may light the vigil during the mornings, evenings e.g., Just make sure to pinch the candle out and not blow it out.

So do I take the candles with me and light them or just pray to the saints without the candles? I going to my mothers house and they don't really agree with me doing any conjure, or praying to Catholic Saints since they're Christian Baptists.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Yes you can relight the vigil light while you say the novena and then suffocate (do not blow it out) the flame out. I did this once while I was in vegas to keep the spell work going and it worked fine. Just make sure you focus.

IF you cant do that then you can use birthday candles, and simply burn them in the morning. YOu can burn them out in portions. So if you can only burn it for a minute or while you say the novena, prayer or petition, then that is fine.

If you cannot use candles, at all, then simple say the prayer to the saints.

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Are the LM vigil candles already dressed and fixed? Or is it recommended to create the holes and add your own oil on top of the dressing and fixing LM has done in the making of the candle? I always presumed they were 'ready to go', your only requirement is to write your petition and add your prayer.
Thank you St. Expedite

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 pm

Sol: That is a good question. Check out the text from the ordering page:
Unless you want glass encased vigil candles NOT to be dressed, prepared, fixed and prayed over for you, we will do this work for you and there will be no extra charge. Please let us know your specific needs when you order, or the vigil candles WILL be dressed and fixed. Dressed candles are shipped with cling-film over the top to keep the added herbs, oils, and other contents in place. They are ready to burn when you remove the cling film. Please note that we only dress or prepare glass encased vigil and novena candles, not other types of candles.
Some people like to dress the candles themselves...if not just order them as is and they will arrive expertly dressed and fixed for your needs. There is no need to repeat what the workers at the shop have already done for you, however you may add your own oil and herbs in addition to the ones already there. Just BE CAREFUL and add very little if you decide this is absolutely necessary. No one wants a pillar of flame where a vigil candle should stand! :)
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:39 pm

Haha! Thanks for the response Joseph...

It is quite interesting to hear you can add some of your own if desired.

All the best,
Sol
Thank you St. Expedite

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Just remember there is usually no reason to have to do this. Lucky Mojo has you covered. Sometimes I will go ahead and add a tiny bit of Lodestone Grit from my Lodestone or a sprinkle of High John from my jar, but that's it! Good luck...
Joseph Magnuson

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks for the advice, I doubt I would add anything to be honest, like you say... Many of the candles do have you covered, it is up to your petition and prayer from there!

Sol
Thank you St. Expedite

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Exactly! So glad you understood what I was trying to get across! Good luck to you...
Joseph Magnuson

Madame Pamita
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Madame Pamita » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:11 am

Regarding the use of glitter in dressing vigil candles - In my opinion, glitter is "icing on the cake" - not totally and unequivocally essential to candle magic but adds another dimension of "dressing up" and color correspondence to the work. It also is another ingredient that can be very useful for divination once the candle is finished.
With love and light -
Madame Pamita, AIRR Member and HRCC Graduate and Apprentice #1704

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 am

1. The purpose of adding the glitter is that it is traditional and it looks pretty. I find it also adds to the concentration of the purpose of the candle. I also use the placement of the glitter after a burn for divination purposes.

2. I use glitter in most of my candles. It is a very personal preference. Do YOU want to use glitter for all conditions?

3. Yes, color correspondences apply to the glitter placed in candles.

Remember folks, don't over do it. A little glitter goes a long way!

Also, please remember to do a search on the forums before posting a new question. Miss cat has address this before...in this very thread!

...and she said:

"Because glitter can be symbolically colour coded to accord with magical intentions, because glitter is shiny and sparkly and radiates its light, because their mother ot auntie taught them to dress candles that way, because they saw it done that way when they had candles dressed at an occult shop a long time ago, because they read about dressing candles that way in a book and tried it and liked it, because figural candles painted and decorated with glitter were all the rage from the 1930s onward, etc."
Joseph Magnuson

Madame Pamita
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Madame Pamita » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:03 pm

I also like using real gold or silver leaf flakes - especially in prosperity work!

Pamita
With love and light -
Madame Pamita, AIRR Member and HRCC Graduate and Apprentice #1704

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I cannot speak to that...but only because i have not used gold leaf or silver leaf in candles. I remember someone mentioning this in the past...perhaps we will luck out and get a post about that here!
Joseph Magnuson

Witchyone

Unread post by Witchyone » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Hello guys,

I have a question or two about dressing and blessing candles. Currently, I'm trying to get familiar with rootwork through the purchase of the Lucky Mojo line of products and making my own rootwork candles and oils based on the herbal and root lore in Cat's book. I am also reading through her online book. I am trying to learn as I go, all until I can order more required products and save enough to take the course, if accepted upon application. But I seem to be coming across a problem.

It seems as though when I make my own candles, they don't seem to work effectively. When I purchase candles from Lucky Mojo, the effects are wonderful! But I see nothing when making my own and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Let me give you an exampleof what I mean:

First, I may decide that I want to dress and burn a candle that will promote fidelity. So I start out with a blue candle. I write my name, then turn it clockwise (to attract) and write my lover's name. Then I poke a few holes into the candle. Next, I gather my herbs and roots; Coriander (fidelity), Lavender (fidelity), Passion Flower (love luck), Dill (love luck), Damiana (brings back a drifting lover), Cumin (fidelty), Skullcap (fidelity).
*(Please note, these roots and herbs listed may not be all of what I choose to use...I may just use a few of these, not the whole lot)*.

Then I sprinkle the herbs and roots on top of the candle and into the holes of the candle. Then I add a bit of "Stay With Me" oil, or a root oil made for fidelity. Next, I pray a psalm over the candle, preferably psalm 23.

Then I create my name or petition paper by writing my lover's name 7 times, turning clockwise then crossing with my name 7 times, and around it, my wish for him to be faithful. I write this in red ink. Then I place this under the candle and light it. Lastly, I pray psalm 113 (to stop infidelity) or speak my wish and let the candle burn...all on the proper day of the week (Friday) during the waxing moon. I pray this psalm 113, every day while the candle burns. I usually leave the candle to burn indefinitely, but if I must extinguish the flame, it is never blown out, but smoldered out by me placing a top or dish of some sort on the candle to put the flame out.

After the candle has burned down, the effects don't show. I could live on Lucky Mojo candles because the company's candles are unmatched and cannot rival anyother candleI have purchased in the past elsewhere, but as a rootworker, a portion of doing the work is learning how to dress a decent candle that will work effectively. Now, I realize that I am not a rootworker (yet;), because I'm still in the baby steps of learning, but I was hoping that I was doing this correctly. Now, I'm having some doubts. Can you guys tell me what I may be doing wrong? Any thoughts are greaty appreciated, because I can definietly learn from the wisdom and the experience here.

Thank you also much in advance, guys ;)
Tanya
Thank you Saints Martha, Joseph, Anthony, and Expedite for blessing all aspects of my life.

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Tanya:

Your procedure for dressing and setting a candle sounds pretty good and sound. The thing about candles is, it may take more than one light to solve a problem, especially one as big as infidelity in a relationship. Generally speaking, Hoodoo workers look for signs in "threes": a sign within three days after starting a working, movement within three weeks (movement in the situation towards the end you want) and a result within 3 months.

There may be absolutely nothing wrong with your technique in candles, but you may want to get a reading with an Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers reader to check on the status of whatever you're working on. Most readers are experienced candle workers too and they can also give you some tips and coaching as to how to make your light-setting a success.

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

Witchyone

Unread post by Witchyone » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks, Mary Bee. I also forgot to mention the use of glitter. I think that it was mentioned elsewhere in the forum, regarding its importance, and in the online book that Cat wrote. I do use the glitter, usually in the same color of the candle for my goal or another symbolic color to help it achieve its end...but I usually use the same color as the candle I have, if possible.

That's a good idea to set more than one light for certain things. Is it ever possible to set a light without having to ever reset it to reinforce the spell, or do all lights have to be reset at some point to keep the effects going? I don't mind setting more lights foraparticular spell if I have to, but I wouldn't want to do it if it isn't needed or required in order to keep it going. I wouldn't want to "overdo" it, if you know what I mean. Is that even possible?
Thank you Saints Martha, Joseph, Anthony, and Expedite for blessing all aspects of my life.

indian_conjure

Unread post by indian_conjure » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

When the last needle falls, stick the needles into the paper in the form of two X patterns surrounding one double-cross pattern (that has two lines crossing one upright line).
How its done if someone can show me?

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:15 am

OK-this question needs a bit of clarification. A 7 day pin candle is not a term I hear very often so for our readers I want to explain: there is a 7 knob candle, also sometimes called a 7 day candle, and there is a regular taper candle that can be turned into a 7 day candle through the use of pins.

The 7 knob candle is already divided into 7 sections and ready for use.

A taper candle can be divided into 7 sections with the use of pins-you stick pins into the candle creating 7 discrete sections of the candle and let the candle burn down a section at a time for 7 days.

To learn more about this, read this page:
http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#sevenday

Now, as to your question about the pattern: think of a cross, its a horizontal line crossed over a vertical line, right? Similar to a t. Add another horizontal line above or below the first one. Now you have a 2 horizontal lines over a vertical line-there's your double cross. And on either side of that pattern will be an X made with the pins from your candle. Make sense?

Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:48 am

Here's a question - do you start with divination to determine the best way to approach the case?

lovingblueeyes

Unread post by lovingblueeyes » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:13 am

Ms.Cat,
You are extremely informative and Thank you. Im looking into purchasing a break up spell tools. Question: If using a female and male black figural candles back to back, can I pin there names and petition to the front of the figure candles? I know I'm a bit off the topic, but I don't have much privacy and can only log in from my cell phone making my search more time consuming.
Thank you in advance for your in put.
Lo√ingblu££y£s

indian_conjure

Unread post by indian_conjure » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks much for making it clear and another question where will I stick the 7th pin if I am turning a taper candle into a seven day candle with the pins?

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:15 pm

You stick the 7th pin in the very bottom of the light.
Blessings,
bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

LEARNING719

Unread post by LEARNING719 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:15 pm

i know tht i can use a screwdriver to put hole in a glass vigil for the oil!
Wht about herbs? make another hole or just put small amt on top the candle.
I do know that this has been asked but i want to be certin!
Thank You!
The journey of learning is never ending !

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:23 pm

You can put the herbs into a hole, or you can sprinkle them on top. Only use a tiny pinch of herbs - otherwise they may catch on fire and cause issues with your candle burn.

LEARNING719

Unread post by LEARNING719 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 pm

is it ok to use scented candels?
like Glade candles and prepare them ???? :?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 pm

No. Those candles are scented with synthetic toxic chemicals. They are unsuitable for spiritual work.
Use unscented candles only, or candles that are scented with pure essential oils that are appropriate for your petition.

LEARNING719

Unread post by LEARNING719 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Devi Spring THANK YOU !
I STARTED NOT TO ASK. SO GLAD I DID.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 pm

LOL Glade Candles are yucky to work with. I am glad you asked Learning719... :)
Joseph Magnuson

1love

Unread post by 1love » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:01 am

I need to know in which direction do I write my loves name on the candle and how many times. Do I write my name on it as well? Do I write his name from the bottom to the top of the candle?
----------\ don't laugh, this is the candle. So how is it done? I want to draw him to me more.
----------/
Thank you St Martha for all you have done.

Lee Canipe
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:36 am

If you want to draw him closer to you one way is to start at the very top near the wick and write his name around and around the candle, like a candy cane or barber shop pole. At the end of his last name, just start again with his first name-- no spaces. Repeat all the way down to the bottom of the candle.

Lee Canipe #398 (G)
HRCC Graduate #0398

ConjureMan
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:58 am

That is a great method Lee Canipe. I write the name like a barber pole also, but for drawing work I write names from bottom to wick, just like when doing a drawing bath.

Lee Canipe
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Ah, that makes sense ConjureMan Ali! I didn't even think about it, but bottom to top would be a great way to reinforce the work.

Lee Canipe #398 (G)
HRCC Graduate #0398

BLESSING1014

Unread post by BLESSING1014 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 pm

so much info here i've gotten a little confused.

i have glass encased undressed & unscented candles. does my petition go under the vigil candle itself?

using regular or figural candles is when i would set it on overturned saucer?

covering saucer with foil is just to make disposal easier. right?

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 pm

According to Devi Springs (and I agree) ".... [a saucer is used] so that you can place some non-flat items underneath the saucer, and burn candles on top of them - the saucer or bowl provides a flat surface the candle can rest on. For instance, if you're using a john the conqueror root, wrapped into a petition paper with some other herbs, a candle would not balance on top of that. So you put them items under the saucer or bowl, and then rest the dressed candle on the bottom of the saucer/bowl." ....another reason according to miss cat, "... to place items under a saucer or bowl is to avoid getting wax dripped on them from the candle."

To answer your question either method is fine, its your preference. Also read "How to Practice Hoodoo Candle Magic" (http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html) to get further details on the issue and much more.

...and yes you can use foil to confine the candle drippings and as a container some spells.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Cheshanna

Unread post by Cheshanna » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Hello everyone.

I know miss cat has said that there is no 'proper' way to do it but:

Can people reading this tell me how they themselves dress love candles - base to wick or wick to base, and does one way lead to better results than the other.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

hapinys

Unread post by hapinys » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Good to know. I just did top to bottom, straight down, name 3 times. Question, for crossing work - say breakup candle I write the names from top to bottom, etc. and cut off the top of candle and burn upside down so the names are upside down. What to you all do?

1love

Unread post by 1love » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Ok the name goes from bottom to wick in a spiral. Should I put love me love me as well or just his name. I'm putting this candle on top of my honey jar.
Thank you St Martha for all you have done.

Lee Canipe
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:59 am

I usually write the name on the candle three times top to bottom for most cases (I tend to work pretty simply). Sometimes I write the name in a spiral if the spirit dictates. As for cursing, if I use a candle I burn it normally (because I'm calling down something on someone). Butting and burning a candle upside down-- with backwards writing-- I only do to reverse or send back something on someone. This is just how I do it, other people may work differently.

Lee Canipe #398 (G)
HRCC Graduate #0398

Witchyone

Unread post by Witchyone » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 am

Devi,

Usually, I will, if I need to get to the root of the problem. But at the time of this post, I was still learning the basics of African American conjure and hadn;t sufficiently ordered a great deal to qualify for courses to learn the basics of candle dressing, and was trying to do as suggested...which is to read around the website's free pages and forums to learn. And I've learned how to properly create my candles now, which I am happy about. But although the AIRR workers are able to instruct us on which candles and roots and oils to use, I had already obtained what I needed to know for the candle, I just wasn't certain if I had done it correctly, but after receiving the proper affects, I see that I have. I wasn't necessarily working on fidelity...it was simply used as an example. But I was asking because I wanted to make sure that I had the basics of candle preparation correct :D

Missionary-Independent.org

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”