Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Research query on Lucky Hoodoo Books

For just a few bucks a month you can have access to Bonus Pages on hoodoo, spell-casting, fortune telling, and folk magic, and contact Cat directly through this private sub-forum!
ychirea1
Patreon Patron

Research query on Lucky Hoodoo Books

Unread post by ychirea1 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:03 am

I was trying to post in the other forum but I don't really know how, so this may get me where I want to go.

I have a research query about two sources that are new to me: LUCKY HOODOO by Bertiaux and LUCKY HOODOO GRIMOIRE by Hagen

I know that they draw upon an esoteric tradition but I am interested in the Haitian-Martinist origins and where they intersect with Africana magic

I would like to find information about these sources and I have not purchased them yet, so this is a quick request for any information that others might have. If I should post this elsewhere for broader exposure, please let me know.

Thanks love and peace

Y.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Research query on Lucky Hoodoo Books

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:31 pm

ychirea1 --

I wish i knew. Bertiaux, "the Hierophant of the Voudon Gnostic Current," is influenced by Kenneth Grant and the Typhonian Order, which itself comes in the wake of Aleister Crowley and Theordore Reuss and their Ordo Templi Orientis, which Crowley attempted to convert into a New Aeon Thelemic order. Bertiaux, a former Theosophist (as was Crowley) created his own spinoff order caller the Ordo Templi Orientis Antigua. He was also the founder of the Neo-Pythagorean Gnostic Church and the Black Lotus Kult (BLK). His private study course is titled "Monastery of the Seven Rays" -- and "the Seven Rays" is a term of art that derives from Theosophy. He combines his understanding of Haitian Voodoo ("vudutronics") with his understanding of ancient Gnosticism as "Gnostic Voudon." (A similar novel combination can also be seen in the term "Gnostic Reiki," which is a another recent fusion compiled by other people.)

Bertiaux is a ritualist, writer, and artist. I have no idea why he would write about hoodoo, as his emphasis has always been on Haitian "Voudon Gnosticism" and clandestine Freemasonry. He initiated quite a few white esotericists and occultists in the 1990s, who were on the internet during its early years as self-proclaimed adherents of "Voudon," but in a relatively short time, two of them whom i knew acknowledged that he had given them no tangible connection to a true Afro-Haitian Voodoo lineage or society. I was told that some then went on to receive Voodoo initiations in Haiti, while others dropped the use of the term "Voudon" and said that they belonged to a "Gnostic" tradition.

Meanwhile, Bertiaux, who is now said to propagate "Voodoo-infused Gnostic teachings," is also known for his interest in extraterrestrial intelligences, an interest shared by Kenneth Grant, who, after Aleister Crowley's death, popularized the notion that Crowley's self-proclaimed encounters with spiritual entities were to be more literally interpreted as encounters with aliens from outer space. Cue the theremin and the H. P. Lovecraft Mythos music!

This video from 2019 shows Betiaux with a couple of his paintings of extraterrestrials:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2031322734

(With credit to nagasiva yronwode, who has collected much information about esoteric orders and new religions.)

Hagen is unknown to me.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

ychirea1
Patreon Patron

Unread post by ychirea1 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:19 am

Ahhh I knew you would know. This confirms the little bit that I've found too. Nevertheless, there is a Haitian origin, even with Bertiaux's eclecticism, so perhaps he is simply borrowing the term "Hoodoo" from some acquaintance with the traditions or practitioners. I am going to try to get a copy of each of these books and see what I find.

You and I are going to have to sit down one day so I can intensely pick your brain on all matters. I gladly pay research fees. Maybe bring Nagasiva it can be a double date

blessings my friend

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:07 pm

ychirea1 --

I'm glad to be of help. Siva and i have a lot of information on folklore and new religions packed into tidy boxes in our brains and are quite willing to share --- no payment required, but we like a written credit if our contributions are published.

We love your work too, Yvonne, and i am pleased to be of service any way i can.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Support Cat Yronwode on Patreon”